Many parents end up feeling regret when they find out that their nanny has abused their child. One parent has written about the anguish he felt when he discovered his trusted nanny had been physically, sexually and mentally abusing his oldest daughter for several years. As a result of his own experience, his number one piece of advice to parents who are hiring nannies is to do a full and comprehensive criminal background check on the applicant. He notes that simply checking references is not enough. Even though there are no guarantees that the nanny background screening will reveal all negative information, it is a necessary first step in the nanny hiring process.
A pediatrician emphasized to parents that a background check for nannies is perhaps more important than for other types of employment. A nanny spends hours and hours of time alone with a child or children. While a “nanny cam” may be set up to monitor the behavior of the nanny, the nanny cam only documents abuse after it has occurred. A background check has great potential for preventing abuse from ever occurring.
Even the International Nanny Association (INA) recommends all parents conduct nanny background screening on nanny applicants which should include:
- Verifying the identity of applicants to be sure they are who they say they are.
- Verifying all claimed licenses, education and employment history.
- Conduct a comprehensive criminal background check. This should include checking in all the states where the applicant has lived and worked.
- Check the sex offender registry of all states and territories.
- Check the applicant’s driving record to discover drunk driving offenses.
- Check the applicant’s credit in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Check to see if applicants have been involved in any civil lawsuits or has any court judgments against them.
A recent report from ABC News confirms that nanny background screening for a potential nanny is imperative. ABC also recommends the background report include checking the applicant’s social media posts on sites like Twitter and Facebook.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Nanny Background Screening Company
Parents cannot be too careful when hiring either live-in or live-out nannies. They need to approach the hiring of a nanny with the same diligence as for any other job. Comprehensive nanny background checks can help protect against nanny child abuse.
Disclaimer Statement: All information presented is for information purposes only and is not intended to provide professional or legal advice regarding actions to take in any situation.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.